Make it Your Dish of the Day
Roasted Vegetables Macaroni & Cheese
Recipe By: Gusto Nero's Chef
Prep time:10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Yields: 4 Servings
1 Large red bell pepper, cored and diced
1 Large yellow bell pepper, cored and diced
1 Medium carrot, thickly sliced.
1 Small head of broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 Medium onion, peeled and diced
4 Cloves of garlic
3 Tablespoons of olive oil; 2 for cooking and 1 for drizzling
225g button mushrooms, quartered
250g Gusto Nero Macaroni Pasta
1 Cup of whole milk
1 1/2 Tablespoon of all-purpose flour
1/4 Teaspoon of salt
1/4 Teaspoon of ground black pepper
1/4 Teaspoon of smoked paprika
A Good pinch of cayenne pepper
2 Cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 Cup of well-grated parmesan
And finally, salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- While it heats up, get out a large bowl, throw in the diced vegetables and toss with two tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the the vegetables on the baking sheet, and wrap with foil to form a sealed packet. It’s best that they’re baked till soft, so give it a good half an hour in the oven, but if you like your veggies crunchy then do it your way!
While the vegetables are baking, it’s time to cook the pasta!!
- Bring a large pot of water to simmer over medium heat, add Gusto Nero Macaroni, and cook for 13 minutes. You’ll want to stir the pasta frequently to make sure it’s cooked thoroughly, especially if your pot is on the small side.
- Once that’s all done, drain the water and add one tablespoon of olive oil to the pasta. Toss it about to prevent nasty macaroni lumps forming.
- In a saucepan, warm 1/2 cup of milk over medium heat, and in a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and flour until there are no lumps. Gradually pour the milk and flour mixture into the pan, and keep whisking until the milk in the saucepan thickens slightly to the consistency of heavy cream.
- Turn the heat to low and begin mixing in the cheeses. Stir in the salt and spices, then whisk until it’s all smooth and the sauce is wonderfully creamy.
- Give it a little taste and see if you’d like to add any seasonings, be adventurous! If everything’s good, remove the sauce from heat.
- This is the final step and thus the most important…Channel your inner Gordon Ramsay, and in a large serving bowl, combine the pasta, roasted vegetables and the cheese sauce. Make sure to do this in slow motion and play inspirational music in the background.
Serve Warm and Enjoy!